Saturday, July 25, 2015

Reggie Jackson has heated exchange with autograph seeker

New York Yankees Hall of Fame slugger Reggie Jackson got into a heated exchange with an autograph seeker Friday night, but vehemently denied Saturday that it turned into a physical altercation.
The New York Daily News reported on its website that Jackson shoved the fan, but Jackson denied that he did anything other than yell at him, using profanity.
“Absolutely not,’’ Jackson said. “I would never touch a fan. I would never touch a person. I just wouldn’t do it.
“I used profanity. I told him no autographs, but I do not touch him.’’
Jackson, 69, concedes that he was upset, and simply wanted “to tell him what we were thinking.
“When we looked back, there was pushing and shoving with people, but we were already gone in the car.’’
Cooperstown police chief Michael Covert said that he was aware of the incident, but that no complaints had been filed with his department.
The incident happened late Friday evening after Jackson and most of the Hall of Famers attended Hall of Fame chairman Jane Clark’s annual party. He later went to dinner with four friends at the Mount Fuji restaurant on Main Street.
“We were quietly having dinner at the restaurant,’’ Jackson said Saturday, “and by the time we were getting ready to leave, it piled up pretty good with people. So we tried to go out the back, and as we went out at back, there was a deluge of people outside.’’
Jackson recognized one of the autograph seekers. He had already obtained Jackson’s autograph earlier in the day at their golf outing and tried to get a second one, Jackson said, which led to an exchange on the golf course.
“'I told you, I want to sign autographs,’’’ Jackson said that he told him, “'and you’re screwing it up for everyone, but no more.’
“The same guy turned up for dinner. I said, 'Hey, this guy, no autographs.’ I used profanity, and told him no more autographs with profanity in it.
“I turned and walked away.’’
The Daily News reported that Jackson yelled at the fan: “I already signed one, and you go back to the (expletive) line and come up again. That’s (expletive) up. Now, it’s my time to eat dinner with people I seldom see. It’s (expletive) up. Pay for them like everybody else.’’
Jackson did not deny the exchange, but repeatedly said he did not shove or push the fan.
“Maybe these people were a little pushy,’’ Jackson said, “but at the same time, I was upset because it was kind of an over-and-over thing. It’s 10 o’clock at night. It’s time to go home. Leave us alone.
“And so the words got heated, but as far as anybody touching someone, that did not come from me.
“I don’t touch people in public. You can’t do it. It’s not what you do.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment