Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Earnest Byner 'full of joy' for the people of Cleveland

Before Sunday night, when the Cavaliers won the NBA championship, fans of Cleveland’s professional teams could list the events that broke their sporting hearts: The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot, the Indians melting down in Game 7 of the 1997 World Series … it’s a long list.
The man who committed The Fumble, former Cleveland Browns running back Earnest Byner, told the Cleveland Plain-Dealer’s Mary Kay Cabot after he watched the Cavaliers complete their comeback from a 3-1 deficit against the Golden State Warriors, “I’m full of joy for the people of Cleveland, for the fans and a peace washed over me.”
Earnest Byner's turnover in the AFC title game in 1988 lives in Cleveland sports infamy. (AP) Byner fumbled on the 1-yard line with just over a minute left in the game as he tried to get the Browns the game-tying touchdown against the Denver Broncos in that 1987 AFC title game; the Broncos recovered and went on to the Super Bowl.
Byner was despondent after the error, and even now, nearly 30 years later, feels remorse. And he knows the Cavs’ win doesn’t erase his mistake.
“No way, no how am I off the hook,” he said. “After the apology a lot of people were seeing me differently and one of the main reasons is they saw the sincerity I had as far as my anguish about the Fumble. But in reality it’s still a part of me, it’s still a part of our collective history and it’s still there and it’s not the whole story. It wasn’t the whole story of the game, nor is it my whole story. So, it’s just part of it. That’s why I say,I’m not off the hook, but I do manage it better.”
As part of his healing process, Byner drove from Nashville to Cleveland to be part of the parade and festivities for the Cavaliers’ title.

Marla Ridenour
coach Tyronn Lue appreciates Cleveland history. Touching moment with Earnest Byner at

Byner is still around the Browns these days, working with the running backs this offseason, and, at the invitation of new head coach Hue Jackson, he’ll work with those players in training camp too.
“I’m living less self-conscious about going out in public and what may be said, but The Fumble is still there,” Byner said. “It’s still part of my legacy. It’s still something that I can teach from, it’s still something that I can help somebody else manage their life especially when there’s some difficult things that they’re going through. And that’s the way I’ve chosen to use it. That’s the way I’ve chosen to live by it. That’s the way I believe Cleveland can use it as well. It’s just part of our story, but it’s also part of a healing process.”
He will also reconnect with producer Andrew Billman, who helmed “Believeland,” the recent ESPN "30 for 30" documentary on the city’s sporting heartbreak.
“I feel like with Believeland and with the inner connection that’s there, I feel like I need to be there,” Byner said.

No comments:

Post a Comment