Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Frankie Edgar makes case for himself as next opponent for Conor McGregor

595377199RT00221_The_Ultima
Only two men have ever held a UFC championship in two weight classes.
Randy Couture was the heavyweight champion on three occasions and the light heavyweight champion twice. B.J. Penn held both the welterweight and lightweight titles.
Frankie Edgar could join that elite group if he captures the featherweight championship. UFC president Dana White said last week after Edgar knocked out Chad Mendes that Edgar would get the next shot at the 145-pound belt.
But whether or not the man across the ring from him when he competes for it is Conor McGregor is very much still up in the air. And the low-key Edgar isn't all that thrilled with that.
McGregor is the sport's money man, and fights with him are far more lucrative than without.
McGregor is interested in fighting the winner of Saturday's lightweight title fight in Orlando, Fla., between Rafael dos Anjos and Donald Cerrone. But he doesn't want to vacate the belt and suggested that while he's fighting the dos Anjos-Cerrone winner, that Edgar fight someone else to establish a better contender.
UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor (MMA Weekly)White made it clear Edgar is up next, and it's what Edgar wants.
"I feel like I'm still improving, still getting better and I have a lot more to give in this sport," Edgar said. "I really want this title shot, because I nearly did it the last time [when he narrowly was beaten by Aldo] and I feel I could do it again. I don't want to do a vacant belt. Well, that would be second-best, but my thing is, I want to beat the guy who has the belt and who everyone thinks is best."
In some ways, Edgar is a bad match for McGregor because not only does Edgar bring the ability to take McGregor down, which Aldo largely did not, Edgar is unlikely to be impacted by all of McGregor's trash talking.
"Matchups and styles mean so much in this sport, and I think I'm that guy for Conor," Edgar said. "I feel I'm his biggest nightmare. I'm sure he feels differently, but he's going to be hearing that from a lot of people. By fighting me, I think it's not only the best fight he could take, but he'd also shut people up. So I think it makes a lot of sense."

No comments:

Post a Comment