Thursday, December 24, 2015

DeMarcus Cousins making difference during holidays and beyond

“Santa Cuz” took his time checking out presents, autographing purple T-shirts, taking selfies and having heartfelt conversations among the 100 underprivileged children from the Sacramento area whom he had treated to a Christmas shopping spree. Considering he used to be one of those children from lower-income families, Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins was moved by every child’s show of appreciation.
“It’s the greatest feeling ever,” Cousins told Yahoo Sports. “To me, that’s the real world. There is none of the basketball here. That’s a fantasy world. Putting a smile on kids, putting a smile on families’ faces, changing people’s lives with your so-called status and celebrity with your so-called impact, that’s reality.”
DeMarcus Cousins at his 'Santa Cuz Shopping Spree.' (Courtesy of the Sacramento Kings)Cousins was born in the blue-collar city of Mobile, Ala., on Aug. 13, 1990. Cousins’ mother, Monique Cousins, was a single mom who raised two boys and four girls. She also was a practical nurse who would often be creative with her work schedule in hopes of accommodating the daily needs of her children.
DeMarcus Cousins said that while his mom did her best to make ends meet, the family still struggled financially. He felt lucky if he got one of the presents on his Christmas wish list, but he was always grateful for whatever he received.
“My memories of Christmas, it was more about being around family,” Cousins told Yahoo Sports. “We weren’t the most fortunate family growing up. My mom did what she could and I was grateful for whatever it was. … At Christmas you were hoping for this and that. At the same time, as a kid I knew what our situation was. I understood.
“You’d go back to school and your friends would say, ‘What you get for Christmas?’ You got to make up a lie. ‘I got this, this and this.’ It’s all part of growing up and everyone has a different story. It made me who I am today. I know what it’s like.”
Four years ago, Cousins developed the “Santa Cuz” holiday persona in an effort to help the community. The 6-foot-11, 270-pounder actually dressed up like Santa Claus the first two years, but this time he wore a Kings purple Santa hat during the $20,000 shopping spree at Arden Fair Mall on Dec. 14. The 2015 All-Star gave each of the children – who ranged from elementary school age to high school – $200 gift certificates to buy Christmas presents. Most appeared to use the gift cards for presents not only for themselves but for their family members as well.
“Christmas is a financial strain on most families. I am going to do my part,” Cousins told Yahoo Sports.
One boy who reminded Cousins of himself made a particularly strong impression.
“He had six brothers and sisters,” Cousins told Yahoo Sports. “[His mother] raised them all on her own. He said, ‘I got my mom a bracelet to show my appreciation for her for raising the kids.’ That was the same thing for me. My mom raised six kids on her own. The first thing I got my mom when I got some money was a house.
Cousins interacts with one of his shopping spree guests. (Courtesy of the Sacramento Kings)“It kind of touched me and hit home for me. He just asked me, ‘How do I get through this adversity and every day life?’ I told him, ‘Praying and keeping faith, and with that you can go as far as you can go.’ “
Cousins’ giving in 2015 has not been limited to Christmas or Sacramento.
Cousins recently gave a car to a Sacramento family in need. He hosted 13-year-old Jonathan Harris, who has a rare form of spinal cancer, in a 25-person suite at a Kings game. Cousins also purchased over $75,000 in Kings season tickets that were donated to local school and non-profit organizations.
Cousins donated $20,000 for a recent Christmas shopping spree hosted by his mother in Mobile. He also paid for the funeral of Sacramento Grant High School football player Jaulon Clavo, a 17-year-old who was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting in November. Cousins also welcomed Clavo’s mom, sister and cousin into the locker room after a game.
“Why do I do this? That is reality to me,” Cousins said. “Excuse my French, but this [expletive] that everybody feeds off with the whole basketball world, it’s a fantasy and it’s short-lived. The impact I have on [the Clavo] family is forever. It’s the right thing to do.”
Cousins has built a reputation as arguably the NBA’s top center due to his wide-ranging offensive talent. But he is also known as a tough guy and a fiery player who perhaps doesn’t always express himself in the best way possible. Off the court, however, that isn’t him.
“He puts himself in a position to help kids because he’s pretty much seen everything and been through it,” said Phoenix Suns guard Eric Bledsoe, a close friend of Cousins’ who played with him at Kentucky. “When he sees a kid, he envisions himself when he was younger. It means a lot to him.
“You always hear about the bad. But I’ve seen him do a lot of things to help people. That’s what he does. He’s the type of person that will give you the shirt off his back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment