Sunday, December 6, 2015

It’s Hall of Fame time — here is my class of 2016 ballot

It’s Hall of Fame time. I have not yet voted for those, you know, Steroid Guys. For years I’ve said that one day I may awaken and decide that I finally give up, that it is impossible to know which juiced pitchers threw to which juiced batters, which home runs might have landed on the warning track absent the stuff, and which 93-mile-per-hour fastballs would have been 88, and therefore not strikeout pitches.
That day has not yet come. So . . . no Barry, no Roger, no Mark, no Sammy, and no Rafael. Maybe next year.
I must also admit that my wife says if I vote for any of those guys she will send me to bed without my supper.
And just to show how capricious and illogical I can be on this matter, and why it is so annoying and frustrating, I am once again voting for Mike Piazza and Jeff Bagwell. Why? Well, in the first case I want more to go on than some allegations of back acne, and in the second case I want some proof of anything.
Here is my class of 2016 Ballot in alphabetical order. Included is last year’s vote percentage.

Jeff Bagwell (55.7 percent)


449 homers, five years with an OPS over 1.000, three times a run-scoring leader (betcha didn’t know that), and all of it while spending most of those years in the vast expanses of the Astrodome. Also a Gold Glove. He should waltz in.
But some people think he was juiced. There is no smoking gun. There is only an eye test and an argument that, well, he didn’t hit that many home runs in New Britain, so how did he hit all those home runs in Houston? Nobody hit home runs in New Britain. And maybe he learned something. Anyway, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Ken Griffey Jr. (first year)

Approximately the 75th guy who should be a unanimous pick, but that’s never happened, and he won’t be the first. His 22-year career was severely front-loaded, but what a start! Consider that from 1996 through 1999, he averaged 52 homers and 142 RBIs a year. He won 10 consecutive Gold Gloves starting in 1990, when he was 20. Even his so-so sunset years failed to drag his career OPS under .900 (.907). For my money, THE player of the ’90s, and that includes Barry Bonds.

Jeff Kent (14 percent)

This one surprises me, but I think he’s got a very legit case. There was, for example, a nine-year stretch in which he averaged 40 doubles, 28 homers, and 110 RBIs. During that time he had an OPS under .877 only twice, and he had a 1.021 season. He slugged .500 and had an OPS of .840 in 49 postseason games. Have I mentioned four Silver Slugger Awards as a second baseman? I guess he could be something of a jerk, but that’s not a Hall deterrent.

Edgar Martinez (27 percent)

Oooo, this one gets my blood boiling. Martinez was the most respected hitter in the American League for a 10-year period. His career OBP is .418, and he three times led the league. His career OPS is .933. Oh, that’s right. He was basically a DH. So? That’s been part of the game since 1973. But he is going backward in the voting and this does not bode well for Big Papi.

Mike Mussina (24.6 percent)

I now see the light. I realize wins are being discredited, but let the record show he had 270 of them. He was incredibly consistent and reliable, six times finishing in the top five of the Cy Young voting. For you WAR folk, he led the league in pitcher’s WAR once and finished in the top five seven times. He won seven Gold Gloves, by the way. And a big trump card is that he spent his entire career in the American League East. Winning 20 as a bye-bye gesture at age 39 was certainly a nice cherry on that sundae.

Mike Piazza (69.9 percent)

Purely and simply, the best hitting catcher of all time. It’s the ’roid thing keeping him out. Nothing else.

Tim Raines (55 percent)

Running out of time in Year 9. Only Rickey Henderson had better leadoff man credentials. Averaged 76 stolen bases from 1981-86. Scored 100 runs six times. 2,605 hits. Seven-time All-Star.

Curt Schilling (39.2 percent)

The only times in his career when he was not a great — I said “great,” not “good” — pitcher were when he was hurt. He was great in Philly, where, among other things, he had back-to-back 300-strikeout seasons. He was great in Arizona (293 and 316 K’s in ’01 and ’02). He was great in Boston. His postseason numbers are legendary (11-2, 0.968 WHIP). Not voting for him is ridiculous.

Alan Trammell (25.1 percent)

It’s not so much about the offensive numbers, although they are very respectable. He was just a damn good shortstop and a complete glue player. I know the respect he commanded.
Yeah, I know. Trevor Hoffman. To me, he was not as good as the inflated save numbers would suggest. My toughest omissions, aside from the Steroid Guys, are Larry Walker and Jim Edmonds.
There it is. More poop to clean up next year. Manny’s coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment