Friday, April 22, 2016

Curt Schilling would have held back opinions if he needed ESPN job

Former MLB pitcher Curt Schilling (AP Photo/Winslow Townson)This probably won’t come as much of a surprise. Former ESPN analyst and six-time All-Star pitcher Curt Schilling doesn’t seem all broken up about losing his job earlier this week after once again choosing to share a controversial opinion on social media.
The outspoken former major leaguer did an interview with the SiriusXM show Breitbart News Daily several days after being fired for commenting on and promoting a controversial anti-transgender meme on his Facebook page. It came less than a year after network suspended him and demoted him after he used Twitter to compare radical muslims to Nazis.
 
“The outpouring in my direction has been mind-boggling,” he said on the radio show. “And I tell people this: it’s a job, not a member of my family. Listen I’m lucky I’ve been so blessed in my life to be able to experience and do the things I’ve done and if that job meant I had to continue doing it to put a roof over the head of my family and food on my table, I’m probably acting a little differently than I did. A lot of people can’t or won’t jeopardize what they do for a living to be and espouse the things they believe … I’m not that guy. I’m not dependent on other people to support my family for the rest of my life.”
Schilling made it clear where he is coming from and why he isn’t more careful about his comments and the topics he chooses to dive into, but he also hasn’t done himself any favors when it comes to the idea of ever working again as an analyst.
Sure, there might be an entity out there that considers hiring him, but anyone who does so, whether it is for an analyst job or not, has to consider what sort of controversy he might get himself involved in next.
Schilling is fortunate to have made millions during his career and isn’t in a position where he has to work, as he pointed out. It might be best for him to take a break from the public spotlight for a good long while or maybe he should consider truly diving into the world of politics and trying to change the world around him to his liking instead of just commenting from the sidelines.
It seems unlikely we’ve heard the last from Schilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment