Friday, April 22, 2016

Blue Jays' Chris Colabello suspended 80 games for PED use

Chris Colabello (Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press via AP) Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Chris Colabello was suspended 80 games Friday as MLB announced he has tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug.
The PED in question is dehydrochlormethyltestosterone, an anabolic steroid designed to increase speed and strength. It is the same PED that led to Phillies pitcher Darren Stumpf's suspension last week.
 
Colabello, 32, released a statement through the MLBPA:
"On March 13, I got one of the scariest and most definitely the least expected phone calls of my entire life. I was informed by the Players’ Association that a banned substance was found in my urine. I have spent every waking moment since that day trying to find an answer as to why or how? The only thing I know is that I would never compromise the integrity of the game of baseball. I love this game too much! I care too deeply about it. I am saddened more for the impact this will have on my teammates, the organization and the fans of the Toronto Blue Jays. I hope that before anyone passes judgement on me they can take a look at the man that I am, and everything that I have done to get to where I am in my career.”
The suspension was delayed as Colabello went through the appeal process. His rise into a steady major-league contributor was one of the feel-good stories of 2015. He played 101 games for Toronto, hitting .321 with 15 home runs and helping them reach the postseason. Colabello spent seven years in independant ball before getting his first big-league opportunity in 2013 with the Minnesota Twins. However, he had struggled so far this season, hitting .069 in 10 games.
"I'm disappointed that it happened, but I've got a special bond with the kid. I was his manager when he kind of made it ... This hurts me just like it hurts him. He's beloved out there in that clubhouse," said Blue Jays manager John Gibbons. "I love the guy. He's fought the odds his whole life. He'll fight this."
Colabello is eligible to return from his suspension July 23. He is, however, ineligible to play in the postseason should the Blue Jays make it that far again. Justin Smoak will take over as Toronto's everyday first baseman for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment