Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Rick Pitino & Jim Leyland continue what they are good at

Louisville has given Rick Pitino a five-year contract extension that will keep the coach with the Cardinals through the 2021-22 season. His $3.9 million base salary remains the same, but he will earn a $600,000 retention bonus every other year from 2014 to 2022. The deal includes incentives for being chosen AP national coach of the year ($100,000) and winning the Big East Conference regular season title ($50,000). ''The one thing I realized is that I don't know if I could live without basketball,'' said Pitino, 60. ''I wouldn't have the highs and the lows, and I guess every coach lives for that. I've been playing this game since I was 6 years of age, and it's been such a passion of mine.''


Jim Leyland insisted throughout the latter part of the season that there would be a time and a place to discuss his managing future. That moment came Tuesday - when the Detroit Tigers announced Leyland would be back in 2013 with a one-year contract extension. ''I really don't know why this is such a shock to everybody, because we told everybody that we weren't going to talk about this until after the season,'' Leyland said. ''It's not even 48 hours and it's done. I think it was pretty much exactly like we had planned it.''

No comments:

Post a Comment