Thursday, February 18, 2016

Hines Ward is politicking to be Georgia's next receivers coach

Hines Ward is interested in getting into coaching, but only if it’s at his alma mater Georgia.
Ward, a potential hall of fame receiver with the Pittsburgh Steelers, told several Atlanta media outlets he would like to try his hand at coaching, but that he wanted to find the right landing spot.
“The bug is still there,” Ward told Channel 2 Action News. “Television is great, but I've always had the coaching bug and I really don't want to coach in the NFL. If I ever got into coaching, I'd want to give back to my alma mater.”
Ward said he’s passionate about Georgia football and that would all shine through as a coach with the Bulldogs.
"I have been where these kids want to go, being a Georgia guy,” Ward said told Fox 5. “I live here in Georgia. Georgia is my passion. I think I have a lot to offer. And I always wanted to give back to my university, to give back the knowledge of the game.
"I can see myself walking into recruiting — moms know me from Dancing with the Stars, dads know me from the Steelers. I can see myself doing some recruiting."
Ward played with the Bulldogs from 1994-97. He was All-SEC and finished his career as the team’s second all-time receiver with 144 receptions. More importantly, he was teammates with Georgia’s new coach Kirby Smart.
Unfortunately, Smart’s staff is full. He recently hired James Coley as his wide receivers coach, but it is college football and things change quickly. At least Smart now knows that his former teammate has an interest in joining his program and who knows what type of opportunity that might bring in the future.
"Hey Kirby Smart, if you are out there and you want a receivers coach, give me a call,” Ward said on Channel 2 Action News. “It would definitely be something that I'd have to think about."

No comments:

Post a Comment