Sunday, May 31, 2015

Ex-Packers coach Mike Sherman takes high school job in Mass.

Miami Dolphins cordinatoor Mike Sherman during the NFL football camp in Davie, Fla., Monday, June3, 2013. (AP Photo/J Pat Carter)Mike Sherman is getting another shot at being a head coach – but this time at the high school level.
According to the Cape Cod Times, Sherman, the former head coach of the Green Bay Packers and Texas A&M University, has accepted the head-coaching job at Nauset Regional High School in Eastham, Massachusetts.
Keith Kenyon, Nauset’s athletic director and now former football coach, said Sherman will meet his new team this week.
“This has been in the works for a few months after I knew I would be giving up coaching,” Kenyon said. “It’s exciting. Mike is a quality person and obviously his coaching resume speaks for itself.”
Sherman’s most notable coaching stop was a five-year stint (2000-2005) as head coach for the Packers, where he led the team to three NFC North championships. He also had stints as an assistant with the Seattle Seahawks, Houston Texans and Miami Dolphins. He also was the head coach at Texas A&M from 2008-2011 and served as an assistant at Pitt, Tulane, Holy Cross and UCLA.
Sherman, a Massachusetts native who lives in West Dennis, Mass., most recently spent two seasons as the offensive coordinator for the Dolphins, but was fired after the 2013 season. Sherman itched to get back into coaching after taking the 2014 season off, but didn’t want to put his family through another move.
From the Cape Cod Times:
“I felt after Miami I couldn't put my family through another move,” Sherman said of his decision to settle full-time in Dennis. “My wife Karen has put up with a lot in regard to my career and was happy to have unpacked her last box. We’ve been coming here almost every summer over the last 30-plus years as a family so we felt this was a natural fit for us to call Cape Cod home.”
Sherman said accepting a gig with a local high school team was a natural choice – but it didn’t come easy.
“I guess I'd say, why not? I've been fortunate financially over the years, which is allowing me to do this,” Sherman said. “Back in January I was looking for a place to have a football camp this summer and Nauset High School came up. Then I heard they were looking for a head football coach.
“It took me a while to pull the trigger,” said Sherman. “It hasn't been an easy decision because I wanted to make sure I was all 100 percent in. The kids deserve that from their coach. I've loved coaching in the NFL and college for the last 33 years, but I am definitely looking forward to working with the kids at Nauset.”

No comments:

Post a Comment