Sunday, November 16, 2014

Will Muschamp will not coach Florida in 2015

Will Muschamp is out at Florida.
The Gators' football coach will not coach in 2015. On Saturday, Florida lost 23-20 to South Carolina in overtime after giving up a tying touchdown late in the fourth quarter after South Carolina blocked a punt.
Muschamp will coach the final two games of the season and then step down.
"Upon evaluation of our football program, we are not where the program needs to be and should be," Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said in a statement. "I've always said that our goal at the University of Florida is to compete for championships on a regular basis. Coach Muschamp was dedicated to developing young men both on and off the field. Our student athletes showed tremendous growth socially and academically under his leadership. His players were involved in campus activities, engaged with the local community and represented the University of Florida with pride."
2014 is Muschamp's fourth season at Florida and he has a record of 27-20 and 17-15 in the SEC. After going 7-6 in his first season in 2011, Muschamp's Gators went 11-2 in 2012 and lost to Louisville in the Sugar Bowl.
Florida was six games worse in 2013 and finished 4-8. It was Florida's first losing season since 1979.
"I appreciate the opportunity that has been offered to me and my family by Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and the University of Florida," Muschamp said. "I was given every opportunity to get it done here and I simply didn't win enough games - that is the bottom line. I'm disappointed that I didn't get it done and it is my responsibility to get it done. I have no bitter feelings, but this is a business and I wish we would have produced better results on the field. We have a great group of players and a staff that is committed to this University and this football program. They have handled themselves with class and I expect them to continue to do so. As I've said many times, life is 10 percent of what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond."
The loss to South Carolina eliminated Florida from any hope of winning the SEC East and dropped the Gators to 5-4. Two weeks before the South Carolina game, Florida steamrolled Georgia 38-20.
Before becoming Florida's head coach, Muschamp was Texas' defensive coordinator and the coach-in-waiting for former Texas coach Mack Brown.
Florida's two remaining games are against Eastern Kentucky and Florida State.

No comments:

Post a Comment